Heart of the Farm-Women in Agriculture is offering six conferences throughout Wisconsin during the months of February, March and April 2014 for Wisconsin farm women.
Heart of the Farm-Women in Agriculture workshop series is a University of Wisconsin-Extension program committed to addressing the needs of farm women by providing education on farm business topics, connecting them with agricultural resources and creating support networks.
"These conferences bring women together in a professional setting and increase their knowledge and competence in farm business management skills and production," said Jenny Vanderlin, Assistant Director, Center for Dairy Profitability. "The Heart of the Farm Conferences allow Wisconsin farm women to become better equipped to make decisions which will increase their profitability and improve their life-styles."
Topics in the upcoming workshops include: Women in Cooperative Board/Leadership Roles, Crop Insurance, Personality Colors, Organizing Your Life, Human Resource Management on the Farm, Working with your Spouse, and Affordable Care Act.
Conference dates and locations are:
- Wednesday, Feb. 5: Camp Forest Springs, Westboro, WI. Contact: Sandy Stuttgen, UW-Extension Taylor County Office, 715-748-3327.
- Friday, Feb. 28: Justin Trails B&B Resort. Contact: Bill Halfman, firstname.lastname@example.org, UW-Extension Monroe County Office, 608-269-8722 OR Aimee Finley, email@example.com, Western Technical College, 608-785-9200.
- Saturday, Feb. 8: Das Lach Haus, Cumberland, WI. Contact: Jennifer Blazek, UW-Extension Polk County Office, 715-485-8600. see below
- Friday, March 21: The Main Event, Cecil, WI. Contact: Jamie Patton, UW-Extension Shawano County Office, 715-526-6136.
- Friday, March 28: Mead Wildlife Area Visitor Center, Milladore, WI. Contact: Matt Lippert, UW-Extension Wood County Office, 715-421-8440.
- Thursday, April 10: Millhome Supper Club, Kiel, WI. Contact: Tina Kohlman, UW-Extension Fond du Lac County Office, 920-929-3171
Brochures and registration information are available on the Heart of the Farm website. Heart of the Farm is partially funded by a USDA Risk Management Agency cooperative agreement and supported by the UW- Center for Dairy Profitability, UW-Extension and the Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board.
Contact: Jenny Vanderlin, firstname.lastname@example.org 608-263-7795
For more information on the conference Heart of the Farm Program contact: Jenny Vanderlin, email@example.com, 608-263-7795, website. Hear what previous Heart of the Farm workshop participants have to say about the program.
Heart of the Farm Conference to be held in Cumberland on Feb. 8
The Heart of the Farm-Women in Agriculture conference series is a University of Wisconsin-Extension program that is committed to addressing the needs of farm women by providing education on farm business topics, connecting them with agricultural resources and creating support networks. The conference will be held at Das Lach Haus in Cumberland, Saturday, Feb. 8, from 9:45 a.m. to 3:15 p.m., registration starting at 9 a.m.
This conference provides women with the opportunity to network with other farm women; learn about working with their spouse; and farm and crop insurances. Participants can get their farm tax questions answered; and taste delicious local foods during lunch while relaxing music performed by Kindred Spirits of Bloomer, WI is played in the background. Throughout the day there will be a opportunities to reeive a chairr massage or Reiki session for a small donation.
Topics and Presenters Include:
- "Working with Your Spouse" Farmer Panel, local women farmers
- Farm Insurance, Paul Hedlund, Raymond James Financial Services
- Crop Insurance, Kevin Christensen, AgStar
- Working Hard Doesn't Have to Hurt, Benjamin J. Brenna, Cumberland Healthcare
- Farm Taxes, Robert Richardson, Bakke Norman Law Offices
- Local Foods Presentation and Tasting, local wine and goat cheese
Registration for the workshop is $20 per person. Das Lach Haus is located at 1788 Elm Street, Cumberland. For more information , brochure, or to register, contact UW-Extension agriculture agents Jennifer Blazek, Polk County, 715-485-8600, firstname.lastname@example.org, Tim Jergenson, Barron County, 715-537-6250, Otto Wiegand, Spooner, 715-635-3506, or Jenny Vanderlin, UW-Madison, 608-263-7795, email@example.com. The registration deadline is Feb. 3, 2014.
Heart of the Farm is supported by the UW-Center for Dairy Profitability, UW-Extension Polk, Barron, Burnett and Washburn Counties, Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, and partially funded by a USDA Risk Management Cooperative Agreement.