The Iowa State Dairy Association (ISDA) has awarded fourteen $500 college scholarships to deserving Iowa students.
"ISDA is excited to award these scholarships," says Larry Shover, President of the Iowa State Dairy Association. "It's always fun to review the applications and see so much potential in the students. The applicants amaze us year after year."
ISDA is proud to announce the recipients of the scholarships. They are:
- Courtney Behrens, daughter of Keith and Deneise Behrens of Meriden, Iowa. Courtney is a sophomore at Iowa State University where she is studying Animal Science/Pre-Vet. Courtney was awarded a WIDA Scholarship, funded by the Western Iowa Dairy Alliance.
- Nicole Engelken, daughter of Tom and Cherrie Engelken of Earlville, Iowa. Nicole is a freshman at Iowa State University where she is studying Dairy Science with a Pre-Vet option.
- Natalie Hanson, daughter of Robert and Maureen Hanson of La Porte City, Iowa. Natalie is a sophomore at Iowa State University where she is studying Biological Systems Engineering.
- Tanner Mashek, son of Dennis and Barb Mashek of Calmar, Iowa. Tanner is a freshman at Northeast Iowa Community College where he is studying Ag Business and Dairy Science.
- Stephanie Pausma, daughter of Richard and Elaine Pausma of Melvin, Iowa. Stephanie is a freshman at Dordt College where she is studying Biomedical Engineering. Stephanie was awarded a WIDA Scholarship, funded by the Western Iowa Dairy Alliance.
- Michele Ries, daughter of Dale and Karen Ries of New Vienna, Iowa. Michele is a sophomore at Iowa State University where she is studying Dietetics.
- Cody Sacquitne, son of Gary and Nancy Sacquitne of Decorah, Iowa. Cody is a junior at Iowa State University majoring in Dairy Science Pre-Vet with a minor in Microbiology.
- Alison Sandbulte, daughter of Shawn and Jami Sandbulte of Rock Valley, Iowa. Next fall Alison will begin her freshman year at the University of Northern Iowa where she plans to study Biology. Alison was awarded a CPDX Scholarship funded by the Central Plains Dairy Expo.
- Sarah Schelling, daughter of Matthew and Cheryl Schelling of Orange City, Iowa. Next fall Sarah will begin her first year at LeMars Beauty College where she will study Cosmetology.
- Mariah Schmitt, daughter of Carl and Terry Schmitt of Fort Atkinson, Iowa. Mariah is freshman at Iowa State University where she is double-majoring in Dairy Science and Public Service & Administration in Agriculture.
- Jason Schuster, son of Don and Barb Schuster of Zwingle, Iowa. Jason is a junior at Iowa State University where he is studying Agricultural Engineering.
- Josh Simon, son of Tom and Shirley Simon of Farley, Iowa. Josh is a junior at Iowa State University studying Agricultural Engineering.
- Megan Van't Hul, daughter of Mark and Deb Van't Hul of Rock Valley, Iowa. Megan is a sophomore at Dordt College where she is studying Nursing. Megan was awarded a CPDX Scholarship funded by the Central Plains Dairy Expo.
- Logan Worden, daughter of Dennis and Joan Worden of Oelwein, Iowa. Logan is a junior at Iowa State University where she is studying Dairy Science and Agricultural Communications.
"Thank you to all the students who applied," continues Shover, "ISDA is proud of the outstanding dairy farm youth in our great state and we look forward to all the exciting things yet to come for these students."
Each of the fourteen recipients will receive $500 for the 2014 fall semester to help with tuition costs, room and board, textbooks or other education-related expenses. Recipients will be recognized at the Dairy Iowa meeting on June 4 at the Heartland Acres Agribition Center in Independence, Iowa. All scholarship applicants are the child, grandchild, employee, or child of an employee of a current ISDA member. Applicants were evaluated on their participation in school and extracurricular activities and on an essay specifying future plans and how life on a dairy farm has influenced him/her.
The Iowa State Dairy Association is a non-profit organization directed by the dairy producers and dairy industries of Iowa.