June 13 2017 10:54 AM
Save the dates, November 8-9, for the DCRC Annual Meeting
Reno, “The Biggest Little City in the World,” will host the Dairy Cattle Reproduction Council (DCRC) Annual Meeting Nov. 8-9. The meeting, scheduled for the first time on a Wednesday-Thursday format compared to Thursday-Friday, will be headquartered at the Peppermill Resort Spa Casino, the same host site as the 2017 Western Dairy Management Conference.
“The overall aim of the annual meeting is to bring all industry partners together to share experiences and research with the ultimate goal of improving dairy cattle fertility,” said Program Chair Luis Mendonca. “We’ve assembled a program that covers a variety of forces that influence dairy cattle reproduction success – from biology to nutrition to physiology to genetics to communications.”
Featured topics at this year’s DCRC Annual Meeting include:
- Communicating with consumers about antibiotic and hormone use
- Sharing the dairy industry’s story with the public
New technologies and dairy data management
- Use of in vitro fertilization (IVF) technology and genomic selection
- Managing and using big data in dairies
- Using technology to improve transition cow health and reproductive performance
Reproductive management strategies
- What type of semen to use: conventional, sexed and/or beef?
- Defining optimal voluntary waiting period
- Digging deep into DCRC award winners’ records
- Transition cow health impact on fertility of cows subjected to artificial insemination (AI) or embryo transfer (ET)
Herd health and employee management
- Mastitis update
- Impact of dairy calf health and nutrition on lactating cows’ production and longevity
- Effects of dry period heat stress on lactating dairy cows
- Developing and engaging people to achieve outstanding transition cow management
In addition, Elanco and Merck are sponsoring preconference seminars, starting at 9 a.m. on Nov. 8. The preconference symposium provides additional instructional time for meeting attendees at no extra charge, with input supplied by the sponsors.
Watch the DCRC website – www.dcrcouncil.org – for program updates and registration information. For more information about Peppermill Resort Spa Casino, visit www.peppermillreno.com.
The Dairy Cattle Reproduction Council is focused on bringing together all sectors of the dairy industry – producers, consultants, academia and allied industry professionals – for improved reproductive performance. DCRC provides an unprecedented opportunity for all groups to work together to take dairy cattle reproduction to the next level.