Documentary explores the systems that make up our nation.
by Hoard's Dairyman staff
Hosted by "Survivor: Cook Islands" winner, Yul Kwon, the most recent PBS series, "America Revealed," provides a general overview of four key systems that keep our nation thriving: food, energy, manufacturing, and transportation.
The first episode, "Food Machine," explores how America's farmers keep the general population fed 365 days every year. The basic overview of America's food production system enables consumers to get a feel for what those in agriculture do on a daily basis. It shows how we have taken land that was once barren and turned it into the most productive and efficient food production system in the world. It takes consumers further than their simple food transactions at the grocery store or paying the pizza delivery boy at the door.
And while they may not agree with the messages, at least some of the people who consume what we produce had a look at our side of the story.
As PBS describes the episode: "Yul Kwon explores how this machine feeds nearly 300 million Americans every day. He discovers engineering marvels we've created by putting nature to work and takes a look at the costs of our insatiable appetite on our health and environment. For the first time in human history, less than 2 percent of the population can feed the other 98 percent. Yul embarks on a trip that begins with a pizza delivery route in New York City then goes across the country to California's Central Valley, where nearly 50 percent of America's fruits, nuts and vegetables are grown and skydives into the heartland for an aerial look of our farmlands."
While much of what is portrayed in this episode seems commonplace, maybe, we should take an hour out of our busy schedules to gain a greater appreciation for the other systems we don't partake in every day.
To watch the series, click here.
Click the icon to subscribe to HD Notebook and get the blog sent to you.