Nominations for the 2016 All-American Dairy Show’s prestigious Obie and Image awards are due May 31.
The awards will be presented during the 53rd All-American Dairy Show, Sept. 15-21, at the Pennsylvania Farm Show Complex and Expo Center in Harrisburg.
The Obie Award, established in memory of Obie Snider of Bedford County, recognizes an individual who places significant value in service to the industry and community. Snider was a founding father of the All-American Dairy Show. The award honors dairymen who display high standards of conduct.
“Obie had a strong vision for this show, which is honored and reflected in those who have received this award,” said Agriculture Secretary Russell Redding. “For Obie, promoting and featuring top-notch cattle was just a means by which to bring together hundreds of outstanding dairy breeders who shared his passion for the industry. We invite you to nominate the next worthy recipient.”
Previous Obie Award winners are:
- 2016 – James and Rita Kennedy of Butler County, Pa.
- 2015 – Dr. Douglas Evans, DVM of New York
- 2014 – Jane Pepple of Chester County, Pa.
- 2013 – Samuel G. Yoder of Berks County, Pa.
- 2012 – William Nichol of Centre County, Pa.
- 2011 – Janet Harding of Clarion County, Pa.
- 2010 – John Cope of Cumberland County, Pa.
- 2009 – George Cashell of Franklin County, Pa.
- 2008 – Dieter Krieg of Lancaster County, Pa.
- 2007 – Berneta Gable of Bedford County, Pa.
- 2006 – David Patrick of Maryland
- 2005 – Creedin Cornman of Cumberland County, Pa.
- 2004 – Donald Seipt of Northampton County, Pa.
“Image Award recipients have faithfully supported the All-American in a variety of ways,” said Redding. “This award puts a face to these behind-the-scenes volunteers whose efforts make the show the best it can be for all who come to enjoy it.”
Previous Image Award winners are:
- 2016 – Judy Black of Blair County, Pa.
- 2015 – Edward Pruss of Wayne County, Pa.
- 2014 – Gary Hennip of Bradford County, Pa.
- 2013 – Steve Cornman of Cumberland County and Denise Whiting of Butler County, both in Pa.
- 2012 – Jane Pepple of Chester County, Pa.
- 2011 – Duane and Donna Duncan of Cumberland County, Pa.
- 2010 – David Swartz of Perry County, Pa.
- 2009 – Kathy Walton and Harry Thompson of Cumberland County, Pa.
- 2008 – David Smith of Lebanon County, Pa.
- 2007 – Kenneth Raney of Centre County, Pa.
- 2006 – David Dunbar of Lehigh County, Pa.
- 2005 – Janet Harding of Clarion County, Pa.
- 2004 – Eugene and Carol Schurman of Indiana County, Pa.
- 2003 – Charles A. Itle of Cumberland County, Pa.
- 2002 – Samuel E. Hayes Jr of Huntingdon County, Pa.
- 2001 – Rita Kennedy of Butler County, Pa.
- 2000 – Robert Rugaber of Butler County, Pa.
- 1999 – Don Ace of Centre County, Pa.
- 1998 – Elsie Wolff of Lancaster County, Pa.
- 1997 – Obie Snider of Bedford County, Pa.
- 1996 – Larry Specht of Centre County, Pa.
- 1995 – John Morris of Maryland
- 1994 – Steve Spencer of Centre County, Pa.
- 1993 – Lee Yost of Lycoming County and John Walker of Allegheny County, both in Pa.
Nominations for both awards are due May 31, and should be sent to the All-American Dairy Show, 2300 N. Cameron Street, Harrisburg, PA, 17110. For applications or information, visit www.allamerican.state.pa.us or contact Harrison Frantz at 717-787-2905 or email@example.com.
The All-American Dairy Show features 22 shows in six days in addition to the nation’s only all-dairy antiques show. Last year’s show featured nearly 3,000 animals and 1,500 exhibitors from around the country.