The annual PDPW Youth Leadership Derby® (YLD), presented by the Professional Dairy Producers® (PDPW), provides youth ages 15 to 18 with a unique career and leadership development opportunity. Non-farm and farm kids will learn through hands-on workshops, interactive sessions, and meet other young students interested in agriculture. YLD will begin at 10:00 a.m. on Saturday, April 7, 2018, and run through 12:30 p.m. on Sunday, April 8, at Oregon High School in Oregon, Wis.
Students will participate in:
- Interactive workshops at the University of Madison-Wisconsin campus, including food science with the Center for Dairy Research, udder and lung dissections with Drs. Hernandez and Ollivett, and bug discovery with entomologist P.J. Lietsch.
- On-site tour of Sassy Cow Creamery and dairy farm
- Discovery Forums highlighting study abroad experience, dairy policy, nutrition, professional behavior and dairy reproduction
- Career Discovery Roundtables with allied industry, representing more than 10 fields
- Inspirational keynote speakers including Natalina Sents, “Why I Farm” road trip blogger, Crystal Siemers-Peterman, 2017 Alice in Dairyland, and Kevin “Atlas” Laue, host of “Believe in You” video series.
- Improve comedy troupe entertainment, featuring Monkey Business Institute
Registration is open to the public and limited to the first 100 student registrations. To learn more about Youth Leadership Derby, visit www.pdpw.org or contact PDPW at 1-800-947-7379. Follow along digitally via social media by using @dairyPDPW and #YLD2018 on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn.
Professional Dairy Producers (PDPW) is the nation's largest dairy producer-led organization of its kind, focusing on producer professionalism, stakeholder engagement and unified outreach to share ideas, solutions, resources and experiences that help dairy producers succeed."