Before the cattle shows began on Monday, a special group of animal handlers had the chance to display their showmanship skills on Sunday, October 2. Youth from across North America had a chance to compete with other junior exhibitors during the World Dairy Expo Youth Showmanship Contest.
In all, 463 participants competed in three divisions. Each division had a series of preliminary heats, followed by a final round where the top 10 individuals were selected.
For the junior division, Cameron Ryan of Fond du Lac, Wis., was the winning individual out of 156 showmen ages 9 to 13. The intermediate winner was Hannah Visser of Hutchinson, Minn. She led the 139 exhibitors between the ages of 14 and 16 years old in that division. For the seniors, Emory Bewley of Susquehanna, Pa., was the top competitor out of 168 exhibitors ages 17 to 21.
These talented young exhibitors were evaluated by three judges. In the center of the junior division ring was Jason French of Fergus, Ontario, Canada. Brian Kelroy of DeForest, Wis., judged the intermediate division. The senior exhibitors were placed by Claire Swale of Aylmer, Ontario, Canada.
The top 10 finishers in each division are listed below. Congratulations to all of the participants!
1. Cameron Ryan, Fond du Lac, Wis.
2. Livia Sandelier, Loyal, Wis.
3. Stella Schmocker, Whitewater, Wis.
4. Benny Uhe, Janesville, Wis.
5. Kestin Martin, Tulare, Calif.
6. Justin Brandel, Lake Mills, Wis.
7. Reid Vandoske, Cleveland, Wis.
8. Natalie Mauk, Plymouth, Wis.
9. Madalynn Arnold, Earlville, Iowa
10. Tristen Upchurch, Hebron, Ill.
1. Hannah Visser, Hutchinson, Minn.
2. Mason Ziemba, Durhamville, N.Y.
3. Logan Harbaugh, Marion, Wis.
4. Peyton Voegeli, Poynette, Wis.
5. Liviya Russo, Lunenburg, Vt.
6. Tessa Schmocker, Whitewater, Wis.
7. Aubree Topp, Botkins, Ohio
8. Tyler Leuch, Pulaski, Wis.
9. Matthew Winch, Fennimore, Wis.
10. Brianne Vandoske, Cleveland, Wis.
1. Emory Bewley, Susquehanna, Pa.
2. Nadia Uhr, Crysler, Ontario, Canada
3. Emi Lange, Utopia, Ontario, Canada
4. Kylie Konyn, Madison, Wis.
5. Jordan Hawthorne, Listowel, Ontario, Canada
6. Amy Hughes, Killbuck, Ohio
7. Jack Lange, Utopia, Ontario, Canada
8. Emma Finch, Utopia, Ontario, Canada
9. Courtney Orser, Sydenham, Ontario, Canada
10. Olivia Finke, London, Ohio
The author is the senior associate editor and covers animal health, dairy housing and equipment, and nutrient management. She grew up on a dairy farm near Plymouth, Wis., and previously served as a University of Wisconsin agricultural extension agent. She received a master’s degree from North Carolina State University and a bachelor’s from the University of Wisconsin-Madison.