The information below has been supplied by dairy marketers and other industry organizations. It has not been edited, verified or endorsed by Hoard’s Dairyman.
“It’s important to recognize that while animal agriculture has in fact been advancing sustainability for thousands of years, the animal protein industry is faced with new challenges, increasing consumer demands, evolving nutritional needs and climate expectations,” said Dr. Terry Ward, Zinpro global director of sustainability. “This report demonstrates the positive impact we are making on animals, the planet and people by partnering closely with our employees, customers and key industry stakeholders.”
In the report, Zinpro shares examples of how proven animal nutrition improved the health, wellbeing and production efficiency of not only animals, but producers’ businesses – strengthening the case for nutrition as a critical component in driving more sustainable outcomes.
The research showed that by partnering with Zinpro to build nutrition plans with sustainability in mind, the company’s customers experienced favorable results including:
- Improved beef cattle reproductive efficiencies, which led to decreased methane emissions, fewer medical treatments and a decrease in greenhouse gases;
- A decrease in poultry broiler copper excretion into the environment;
- Improvements in swine feed efficiency and profitability;
- Increased shrimp survival rates, biomass and feed conversion ratios.
In addition to research findings, the report details the ways in which Zinpro continues to support the global animal agriculture industry. Safety remains fundamental to the company’s approach and is the foundation for its four sustainability pillars: environmental, economic, technical and social.
Innovations to Grow the Sustainability of Customers’ Businesses
According to the report, Zinpro launched several innovative products and tools in the last year to better serve customers’ animals and businesses, including:
- Zinpro® IsoFerm®, a one-of-a-kind product for dairy cows that provides game-changing advancements in dairy farm efficiency and profitability, driving operational and environmental sustainability
- Zinpro® Beef Calculator, a tool that helps ranchers calculate the potential profitability, improved health, enhanced immunity and increased weaning weights by feeding Zinpro products
- Zinpro® Global Poultry Mineral Guide, the first-of-its kind guide that allows poultry nutritionists to formulate customized diets to achieve specific sustainability goals and meet the modern mineral needs of poultry production
Prioritizing Sustainability Begins with Measurement
“At Zinpro, we recognize the need for continuous evaluation and measurement as part of our work,” said Dr. Ward. “To help us prioritize and effectively chart a course for our future sustainability progress, we developed a materiality matrix.”
Zinpro worked with a third-party firm on its materiality matrix, which will help identify the Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) issues of critical importance to stakeholders and to the business. The top three areas of focus include:
- Product quality, safety and compliance
- Animal health and welfare
- Supply chain management and labor conditions
Visit our sustainability website and download the report to learn more about how Zinpro plans to partner with employees, customers and key stakeholders to Advance Performance Together.
For more than 50 years, Zinpro has improved the health and wellbeing of both animals and people as a pioneer in the research and development of performance trace minerals and innovative solutions. As a family-owned, privately held company, our steady growth has come as a result of quality products, a world-class team of experts and a commitment to helping our customers achieve more through science-based trace mineral nutritional solutions. With 10 regional offices in 9 countries and products marketed in more than 70 countries worldwide, Zinpro is the global leader in advancing greater nutrition and smarter practices for a better, more sustainable world. To learn more visit zinpro.com.