Nominations for the 2016 All-American Dairy Show's prestigious Obie Snider and Image awards are due May 31.
The awards will be presented during the 53rd All-American Dairy Show, September 17-22, at the Pennsylvania Farm Show Complex and Expo Center in Harrisburg.
The Obie Award recognizes a dairy industry leader who honors Obie Snider's character, ethics, service, leadership and professionalism.
"The vision Obie had for this show is reflected in those who have received this award in his honor," said Agriculture Secretary Russell Redding. "Promoting and featuring top-notch cattle at the All-American Dairy Show was just the vehicle to bring together hundreds of outstanding dairy breeders with a similar commitment to the industry. We're looking for nominees who share his passion."
Past Obie Award winners, in order of receipt, are:
- 2004: Donald Seipt of Northampton County;
- 2005: Creedin Cornman of Cumberland County;
- 2006: David Patrick of Maryland;
- 2007: Berneta Gable of Bedford County;
- 2008: Dieter Krieg of Lancaster County;
- 2009: George Cashell of Franklin County;
- 2010: John Cope of Cumberland County;
- 2011: Janet Harding of Clarion County;
- 2012: William Nichol of Centre County;
- 2013: Samuel G. Yoder of Berks County;
- 2014: Jane Pepple of Chester County; and
- 2015: Dr. Douglas Evans, DVM of Georgetown, N.Y.
The Image Award is presented to an individual who has enhanced the image of the All-American Dairy Show with significant contributions to its reputation, prestige and welfare.
"Like the Obie Award, past Image Award recipients have faithfully supported the All-American through a variety of efforts," said Redding. "The Image Award is designed to put a face to these behind-the-scenes volunteers who strive to make the show the best it can be for exhibitors."
Past Image Award winners, in order of receipt, are:
- 1993: Lee Yost of Lycoming County and John Walker of Allegheny County;
- 1994: Steve Spencer of Centre County;
- 1995: John Morris of Maryland;
- 1996: Larry Specht of Centre County;
- 1997: Obie Snider of Bedford County;
- 1998: Elsie Wolff of Lancaster County;
- 1999: Don Ace of Centre County;
- 2000: Robert Rugaber of Butler County;
- 2001: Rita Kennedy of Butler County;
- 2002: Samuel E. Hayes Jr of Huntingdon County;
- 2003: Charles A. Itle of Cumberland County;
- 2004: Eugene & Carol Schurman of Indiana County;
- 2005: Janet Harding of Clarion County;
- 2006: David Dunbar of Lehigh County;
- 2007: Kenneth Raney of Centre County;
- 2008: David Smith of Lebanon County;
- 2009: Kathy Walton and Harry Thompson of Cumberland County;
- 2010: David Swartz of Perry County;
- 2011: Duane and Donna Duncan of Cumberland County;
- 2012: Jane Pepple of Chester County;
- 2013: Steve Cornman of Cumberland County and Denise Whiting of Butler County;
- 2014: Gary Hennip of Bradford County; and
- 2015: Edward Pruss of Wayne County.
Nominations for both awards are due May 31 and should be sent to the All-American Dairy Show, 2300 N. Cameron Street, Harrisburg, PA, 17110. For applications or information, visit www.allamerican.state.pa.us or contact Harrison Frantz at 717-787-2905 or email@example.com.
The All-American Dairy Show features 22 shows in six days in addition to the nation's only all-dairy antiques show. Last year's show featured nearly 3,000 animals and 1,500 exhibitors from around the country.