Thursday, December 1 is the deadline to submit applications for the fifth class of Jersey Youth Academy, scheduled for July 9-14, 2017 in Columbus, Ohio.
Jersey Youth Academy is an intensive educational program sponsored by the American Jersey Cattle Association and is focused on the Jersey cow and the various elements of the Jersey dairy business. Academy challenges participants to understand the long history and recent growth of the Jersey breed and shows them the many opportunities and challenges of the dairy business in the future.
The 2017 Academy class will meet leaders from the Jersey community and the support industry, and gain their unique insights about the dairy business with a specific focus on the Jersey cow. They will also tour Jersey operations and milk processing facilities, and participate in hands-on workshops ranging from linear type evaluation to marketing and promotion.
Youth who will be seniors in high school in the fall of 2017 through those with at least one year remaining in their undergraduate degree program at an accredited vocational school, college or university are eligible to apply. Applicants must be legal residents of the 50 United States and the District of Columbia. A youth can participate in Jersey Youth Academy only one time.
A maximum of 36 youth will be selected based on merit, motivation and preparation for the program as reflected in the written application and goal statement. Applications are posted on the USJersey web site and must be received not later than 4:30 p.m. Eastern time on Thursday, December 1, 2016.
All program, housing and transportation costs are paid by the Academy's 501(c)(3) educational foundation. Contributors to the foundation represent a broad spectrum of Jersey breeder and dairy industry support, with the largest contribution to date coming from the all-donation National Heifer Sale in 2011.
About the National Jersey Youth Programs
Organized in 1868, the American Jersey Cattle Association has sponsored educational programs and activities for young people interested in the Jersey breed since 1917. Junior members have the same registration privileges as Lifetime Members, and also the incentives of a comprehensive program leading to national recognition for their achievements with Jersey cattle. These programs include:
- Free membership in the association until the youth's 21st birthday;
- the National Jersey Youth Production Contest and Pot O'Gold Sale, which create incentives for keeping production and management records;
- the National Jersey Youth Achievement Contest, the ultimate recognition for Jersey youth between the ages of 16 and 20;
- more than $25,000 in scholarships and awards that help pay for college studies and hands-on work experiences;
- The All American Junior Jersey Show, providing the thrill of competition in the largest show of Registered Jerseys in the world and introductions to lifelong friends from across the United States; and
- Jersey Youth Academy, an intensive educational program to be held for the fifth time in 2017 in Columbus, Ohio.
The American Jersey Cattle Association, organized in 1868, compiles and maintains animal identification and performance data on Jersey cattle and provides services that support genetic improvement and greater profitability. Since 1957, National All-Jersey Inc. has provided services that increase the value of and demand for Jersey milk and milk products and Registered Jersey cattle and genetics. For more information on AJCA and NAJ services for dairy business owners, visit the website at www.USJersey.com or connect at facebook.com/USJersey.