The World Dairy Expo Youth Showmanship Contest continues to be well attended. While it is one of the few events that is held at night, and often runs as late as midnight, it is still a popular contest for dairy youth. In this showmanship contest, youth do not have be exhibitors at the show or own the animal they exhibit, but the animal must be entered in one of the breed shows held at World Dairy Expo.
Three hundred thirty-seven young exhibitors competed in the Youth Showmanship Contest held on Thursday evening, October 4 at the 2018 World Dairy Expo.
The contest has an international draw, and this year, all three winners were from the Canadian province of Ontario. The divisions are Junior, Intermediate, and Senior, based on age of the exhibitor. Winning the Junior Division, and receiving the W. Terry Howard Award was Keaton Phoenix of Greenbank, Ont., Canada. The judge was Curtis McNeil, Heather Holme Holsteins, Goderich, Ont., Canada.
In the Intermediate Division, the Howard Voegeli Award was won by Caden Finley of Greenbank, Ont., Canada. Jamie Howard, EastGen Regional Sales Manager for Western Ontario, Burgessville, Ont., Canada, judged the Intermediate Division.
Madison Dyment of Burgessville, Ont., Canada won the Senior Division, where the winner receives the Keith King Award and a semen tank. Kelly Reynolds, New York Holstein Association Executive Manager, Corfu, N.Y., placed the Senior Division.
The top 15 individuals of each division received neck ribbons and medallions and the top 10 received a cash prize.
Top 15 youth winners of each division are as follows:
Junior (Ages 9-12):
- Keaton Phoenix, Greenbank, Ont.
- Morgan Howard, Burgessville, Ont.
- Sara Dorshorst, Marshfield, Wis.
- Rachel Visser, Hutchinson, Minn.
- Jaydn Kimball, Windham, Maine
- Mason Ziemba, Durhamville, N.Y.
- Ava Grace Hebgen, DeForest, Wis.
- Brianna Meyer, Chilton, Wis.
- Calvin Bening, Arlington, Minn.
- Johnathon Clark, Cornish, N.H.
- Kennedy Kimball, Windham, Maine
- Macie Noble, Lancaster, Wis.
- Cole Sarbacker, Edgerton, Wis.
- Jacob Harbaugh, Marion, Wis.
- Campbell Booth, Plymouth, Wis.
Intermediate (Ages 13-16):
- Caden Finley, Greenbank, Ont.
- Jordan Hawthorne, Listowel, Ont.
- Dylan Brantner, Evans City, Pa.
- Taylor Vander Meulen, Brighton, Ont.
- Dana Sickles, Marengo, Iowa
- Brooke Krueger, Hazel Green, Wis.
- Kolton Crack, Cleveland, Qué.
- Cassie Gebert, Wawaka, Ind.
- Mallory Rhodes, Millport, N.Y.
- Chandler Bening, Arlington, Minn.
- Alek Krueger, Hazel Green, Wis.
- Zachary Paul, Worden, Ill.
- Eden Groff, Ronks, Pa.
- Ashlyn Sarbacker, Edgerton, Wis.
- Ella Bauer, Hayfield, Minn.
Senior (Ages 17-20):
- Madison Dyment, Burgessville, Ont.
- Megan Ford, Thornbury, Ont.
- Mike Podschadly, Armstrong, B.C.
- Olivia Brandenburg, Fort Atkinson, Wis.
- Emily Mikel, Stafford, N.Y.
- Nicki Meier, Abbotsford, B.C.
- Brent Sayles, Paris, Ont.
- Jodie Stoker, Abbotsford, B.C.
- Jared Dickman, Lanark, Ill.
- Hannah Nelson, Ellsworth, Wis.
- Brent Sikma, Newcastle, Ont.
- Nathan Arthur, Sumner, Iowa
- Jonathan Hubbard, Thurmont, Md.
- Katie Anderson, Yarroweyah, Australia
- Jackie Bortner, Spring Grove, Pa.
The author is the online media manager and is responsible for the website, webinars, and social media. A graduate of Modesto Junior College and Fresno State, she was raised on a California dairy and frequently blogs on youth programs and consumer issues.