National Dairy Month in June celebrates dairy farmers, the dairy industry, and dairy products such as milk and cheese. Crave Brothers Farmstead Cheese knows that you have a choice, so here are five reasons why you can feel good about celebrating National Dairy Month with their award-winning artisanal cheese.
• Support Family Farms: Crave Brothers Farmstead Cheese is made with milk from the family’s own dairy herd. And yes, there really are Crave brothers. The four founding Crave brothers —Charles, George, Mark and Thomas—as well as George’s wife Debbie, and next generation family members Patrick, Jordan, Andy and Beth are all part of the family business.
Be assured that the Crave Brothers’ commitment to excellence in cheesemaking starts with the cows. Each day, 100,000 pounds of fresh milk produced on the farm are made into 10,000 pounds of cheese. The Crave Brothers Farm grow their own crops to use as nutritious feed for their 2,100 Holstein cows.
• Make a Sustainable Choice: Sustainability and good stewardship of the land are priorities on the Crave Brothers Farm, from the biodigester to water recovery and recycling. The Crave Brothers care for the land, planting 2,500 acres of corn, soybeans, alfalfa and wheat each spring to feed their dairy herd, with minimum tillage and annual crop rotation. Fields are fertilized with high-nitrogen liquid fertilizer produced by the farm’s biodigester.
• Opt for Artisanal: Licensed cheese maker George Crave oversees the making of artisanal Crave Brothers Farmstead Cheese. In 2018 he was inducted into the New World Chapter of The Guilde Internationale des Fromagers, in acknowledgement of the farmstead and green energy-focused commitment of Crave Brothers Farmstead Cheese, and contributions toward to the success of cheese produced in the U.S.
• Go With Green: Crave Brothers Farmstead Cheese is produced using 100% green power. The Crave family makes a difference with its carbon negative practices—including the pair of biodigesters that break down organic waste material into biofuel and generate enough electricity to power not only their farm and cheese-making facility, but also 300 homes in their community.
• Reach for Quality: Americans gravitate towards cheeses for pizza and specialty cheeses. Whether you’re selecting Fresh Mozzarella for your pizza, or specialties such as Farmer’s Rope String Cheese, Mascarpone or Cheddar Cheese Curds, Crave Brothers Farmstead Cheese offers award-winning varieties.
Crave Brothers Fresh Mozzarella is available in several shapes and sizes suitable for your favorite pizza, pasta, salad and appetizer recipes. Choose from perline (pearl size), ciliegine (cherry size), bocconcini (ball size), ovoline (egg size), Fresh Mozzarella medallions, 8-ounce balls, 1-pound balls, and 1-pound logs. Marinated ciliegine comes in an olive oil and canola oil blend seasoned with a custom mix of herbs and spices. Crave Brothers Marinated Fresh Mozzarella recently took First Place honors in the 2018 World Cheese Championships. All told, Crave Brothers Farmstead Cheese has won approximately 40 awards for its Fresh Mozzarella varieties.
Farmer’s Rope String Cheese lends itself to creative recipe ideas, and has won more than 30 prestigious state and national awards. This handmade deli string cheese comes in a rope shape and forms strings when it’s pulled apart. Farmer’s Rope is a great melting or snacking cheese, as well as a garnish for soups.
Crave Brothers Farmstead Cheese also offers three types of fresh cheese curds: White and Yellow Cheddar, as well as Jalapeño Cheddar Cheese Curds. Cheese curds have a springy texture and a slightly salty, mild flavor. In addition to being convenient snacks, they’re also ideal for pairing with chili, craft beer or hard cider. In 2016, Crave Brothers Jalapeño Cheddar Cheese Curds and Yellow Cheddar Cheese Curds each won First Place honors in the American Cheese Society Competition.
Crave Brothers Mascarpone adds a fresh, sweet cream flavor and velvety texture to dessert and savory recipes alike. You’ll find recipes such as Mascarpone Layered Beets, Mascarpone-Filled Strawberries and Chili Corn Bread Salad on the Crave Brothers Farmstead Cheese website. Use Mascarpone in soups, sauces, and pasta dishes, too. Discover why its rich flavor has won at least 30 awards.
Visit the website at www.cravecheese.com for recipe ideas, product information about Crave Brothers Farmstead Cheese, and videos highlighting the Crave Brothers green story.
The Crave family farms 2,500 acres of productive land in south-central Wisconsin, growing soybeans, corn and alfalfa to use as nutritious feed for their Holstein cows. From the biodigester to water recovery and recycling, sustainability is top-of-mind on the farm. The Crave Brothers Farm LLC and Crave Brothers Farmstead Cheese LLC use 100% green power and are carbon-negative businesses. Their anaerobic biodigester produces more electricity than they need, enough to power the dairy farm, the farmstead cheese-making plant, and over 300 homes in their community.
Every pound of cheese made by George Crave, a licensed cheese maker, is made with milk from the family’s herd. Crave Brothers Farmstead Cheese produces Fresh Mozzarella, Mascarpone, Part-skim Mozzarella, Oaxaca, Farmer’s Rope String Cheese, and Fresh Cheddar Cheese Curds in white, yellow and jalapeño varieties.
Driftless Café Panzanella Salad with Crave Brothers Fresh Ciliegine Mozzarella
and Truffle Dressing
1 ½ cups of olive oil
8 oz. of crusty bread or one small loaf- diced into large pieces
1 ½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 whole English cucumber, seeded
5 heirloom tomatoes, cored, cut into large wedges
½ red onion, cut into thin batons
8 oz. Crave Brothers Farmstead Ciliegine Mozzarella Cheese
2 oz. fresh basil leaves, torn into bite size pieces
1 oz. fresh whole mint leaves
In large sauce pan (deep enough to prevent splatters) heat olive oil until it reaches approximately 350˚ F. Add bread, fry until golden brown; remove from oil. Place into steel bowl. Season croutons with salt and pepper. In large salad bowl, add remaining ingredients. Top with croutons.
1 cup buttermilk
¼ cup mayonnaise
2 Tablespoons Truffle Oil
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
In a small mixing bowl, add all ingredients; whisk. Pour over salad. Toss ingredients together. Allow to sit for 10 minutes. Serve.
Yield: 8 servings