The Northeast Dairy Suppliers Association, Inc. (NDSA) has announced 10 scholarship recipients to college students for the 2019-20 academic year totaling $15,000. Applicants must be an immediate family member of a current NDSA member company or student member of NDSA, enrolled for the 2019-20 academic year as a full-time student with a minimum of 12 credit hours, and have a GPA of 2.50 or greater to be eligible.
The NDSA Scholarship Committee awarded five $2,000 scholarships to students whose majors are related to the dairy/food industry or an agriculture program related to the dairy/food industry;
- Remy Babbush, Merrick, NY: Cornell University, Food Science
- Jenna Freyer, North Syracuse, NY: Ohio State University, Food Science
- Karly Marshman, Oxford, NY: SUNY Morrisville, Agriculture Science
- Dominic Mattilio, Willow Street, Penn State, Animal Science
- Ericka Vrooman, Pulaski, NY: SUNY Cobleskill, Agriculture Science
Additionally, the Scholarship Committee awarded five $1,000 scholarships for students studying any major;
- Jakob Behrendt, Columbus, OH: Ohio State University, Aerospace Engineering
- Hannah Boyd, Lancaster, PA: University of Pittsburgh, Engineering
- Lily Daily, Lexington, KY: University of Kentucky, Communications Sciences & Disorders
- Bryce Ostrander, Hampden, MA: Springfield Technical Community College, Undeclared
- Alexandria Reppi, Wolcott, NY: Saint John Fisher College, Nursing
Bruce W. Krupke, Executive Vice President said “we had many strong and qualified applications again this year. It is fantastic to see young, smart students, with solid backgrounds who are seeking a career in the dairy industry and pursing other goals.”
Ozzie Orsillo, President of Northeast Dairy Association, Inc., said “the Northeast Dairy Suppliers Association is honored and pleased to present these students with a scholarship this year. We encourage young people to continue their studies, especially those seeking a career in the dairy industry, and wish them all the best of luck.”
“I would like to thank the Northeast Dairy Suppliers Association and their members for their continued support of higher education,” said Jenna Fryer. “I am fortunate to be a recipient of an NDSA scholarship throughout my undergraduate career, which has helped me financially as I complete my bachelor’s degree in food science at The Ohio State University in Spring 2020. I want to once again thank the association for their generosity and for the help this scholarship provides.”
“This scholarship helps me to pursue my goal of receiving an education and working in the agriculture industry,” said Dominic Mattilio.
Scholarship information is made available each year after February 1st with applications due by June 1st and can be found on the association’s website at neastda.org. Funding for the scholarships come directly from the association’s annual dairy industry clambake, members’ dues supporting the association, and sponsorship of annual dairy industry events to help fund the scholarships each year.
The Northeast Dairy Suppliers Association, Inc. is located in Syracuse, NY and is a full-service trade group representing vendors and supplier companies selling to and servicing dairy product processors, manufacturers and distributors in the northeast United States since 1932.