On September 14, 2021, Elanco Animal Health, in partnership with Agri-Pulse, will convene hundreds of global leaders in animal agriculture for The Sustainable Solutions for Zero Hunger Forum. The forum, which will take place in Washington, D.C., and virtually, will focus on animal agriculture’s role in ensuring sustainability while achieving zero hunger by 2030.This solutions-focused event will assemble business leaders, policymakers, producers, processors, NGOs and other key stakeholders to collectively tackle the critical issue of sustainably combating climate change, hunger and improving the resiliency of the global animal protein food chain. The timing for this forum, directly in advance of the United Nations (UN) Food Systems Summit, is critically important to highlight animal’s role as a constructive solution to climate change.
According to the UN, we’re facing a doomsday clock on climate. If we do not curb emissions in a few short years, we will see irreversible damage to the planet,” said Jeff Simmons, president and CEO at Elanco. “Meanwhile, a full 30% of the world’s population lacked year-round access to adequate nutrition in 2020, leading to problems ranging from hunger to obesity to malnutrition.”
The nutrient density of meat, milk, fish and eggs can provide a powerful remedy to address hunger and malnutrition and utilize natural cycles to achieve climate-neutral animal protein production. This gathering will focus on the potential for animals to be a solution in both improving the sustainability of food production and ensuring the industry’s ability to fight hunger and create supply chain durability.
Discussion at the forum will center on sustainable nutrition creation and agriculture policy and will feature senior industry leaders’ perspectives on gaps and opportunities to accelerate the industry’s sustainability journey while creating value for all. The event will include keynotes from:
- Special Envoy Agnes Kalibata, UN Secretary-General's Special Envoy to the 2021 Food Systems Summit
- Hon. John Boozman, U.S. Senator and Ranking Member of the Senate Committee on Agriculture
- Hon. Jewel Bronaugh, Deputy Secretary of Agriculture
Additional confirmed speakers include:
- Jim Barnhart, USAID, Deputy Director Feed the Future
- Amb. Ertharin Cousin, President and CEO, Food Systems for the Future
- Jeff Simmons, President and CEO, Elanco Animal Health
- Adebgola T. Adesogan, Ph.D., Director, Feed The Future Innovation Lab for Livestock Systems, University of Florida
- Mike McCloskey, Co-Founder and CEO, Select Milk Producers
- Kim Stackhouse-Lawson, Ph.D., Director of the Sustainable Livestock Systems Collaborative, Colorado State University
- Sara Place, Ph.D., Chief Sustainability Officer, Elanco Animal Health
- Jason Clay, Ph.D., Senior Vice President of Markets and Executive Director of the Markets Institute, World Wildlife Fund
The event creates a unique opportunity to interact directly with leaders of the UN Food Systems Summit and important policymakers to share the work producers are already doing to reduce environmental impact and highlight actions to accelerate progress. The forum provides an opportunity for the industry to be at the global table helping to solve these problems in collaboration with policymakers, not each working in isolation.
Nutrient-dense animal proteins provide a powerful remedy to address hunger and malnutrition,” said Agri-Pulse Editor Sara Wyant. “This will be a great opportunity to discuss how farmers and ranchers are reimagining the way they grow animals to improve environmental performance, reduce and reverse carbon utilization, and build a more inclusive and resilient food supply for those most in need.”
To find out more about the forum, see the full program and learn about attending, visit https://www.agri-pulse.com/events/684-sustainable-solutions-for-zero-hunger-by-2030-a-vision-for-animal-agriculture-virtual.