The information below has been supplied by dairy marketers and other industry organizations. It has not been edited, verified or endorsed by Hoard’s Dairyman.Deadline is just 10 days away for Class VIII of Jersey Youth Academy!
Apply here for the best youth program in the industry!
The eighth Jersey Youth Academy will be held July 9-14, 2023. The application period for the is open until December 1, 2022.
Jersey Youth Academy provides a unique educational experience that motivates youth of high school and college age to prepare for and succeed in their adult careers in some aspect of the dairy industry, but specifically working with Jersey cattle and/or Jersey products.
Inspirational and extremely informational, are the two words I would use to describe my Jersey Youth Academy experience, I have a pretty strong dairy background, but I learned so much this week. It was worth the time to come here and means a lot to be able to have this opportunity. We all should be beyond grateful for this program and having the chance to be a part of it.
Sophia Larson, WI
Jersey Youth Academy introduced me to the greatest group of people I have ever met, those who share the love of the little brown cow as much as I do. From my first trip on an airplane ever to seeing Ohio for the first time and enjoying ice cream with every meal, Jersey Youth Academy was truly an amazing experience.
I attended Jersey Youth Academy the summer before my senior year in high school; I was 17 years old at the time, making myself one of the youngest members of the class. I am extremely glad I chose to attend JYA this early!
If you attended the Jersey Youth Ceremony in Louisville, you may have noticed that many of the award recipients were members of one of the Jersey Youth Academy classes. I believe that attending JYA early on in my career gave me an increased opportunity to be involved and accomplished in Jersey Youth activities even after the weeklong adventure ended.
Mary Holtz, IA
This experience was a building block or stepping stone for many of us. I have learned a lot of things from showing and from our farm, but this gave me a more widespread experience and opportunity to learn more things and meet new people in the industry.
Hannah Diehl, PA
The mission of the Jersey Youth Academy is to attract, educate and retain talented young people for careers in the Jersey dairy business. It will be achieved through cooperative efforts of the American Jersey Cattle Association and National All-Jersey Inc., Jersey owners everywhere, and allied industry.
As authorized by the Board of Directors of the American Jersey Cattle Association in June of 2008, Jersey Youth Academy seeks to:
- Encourage, guide and train youth from Jersey farm families towards productive careers in the dairy industry;
- Identify and support talented youth from outside the Jersey community who are motivated to pursue a career in this industry;
- Strengthen the connection of these young people to the American Jersey Cattle Association and demonstrate the fundamental importance of its breed improvement, marketing and promotional programs;
- Expand knowledge and understanding of the range of professional careers associated with the dairy industry and the academic preparation necessary to achieve success in those careers;
- Through a strong fundraising effort, develop a high-quality program that will attract student participation and also provide substantial financial support based on need, interest and ability, and
- Contribute to the general development of competence, confidence, positive social connections, and character by Academy participants.
The aim of the Academy is to develop the human resources that will be required to sustain and develop Jersey dairy businesses in the United States. This project is envisioned as a cooperative effort among all dairy industry stakeholders. Without exception, these stakeholders need qualified, interested young people for the continuation and success of their businesses.
The program is designed around three broad objectives for participants:
- First, to learn why and how the Jersey breed has grown and prospered, and what the future holds for the Jersey business;
- Second, to meet leaders from the Jersey community and from across the support industry, to gain their unique insights about the dairy business with a specific focus on the Jersey cow; and
- Third, to learn about the range of career opportunities that involve the Jersey breed and Jersey products, and begin the journey that will take them to success working in the Jersey dairy business.
The program is conducted every two years, with participants chosen from a national pool of applicants. Selection is based on merit, motivation and preparation for the program as reflected in experiences, accomplishments and goal statement of the applicants. All program costs, including round-trip transportation for participants, are paid by the Academy.
Applications will be accepted from Jersey youth who are currently juniors and seniors in high school or enrolled in an accredited two-year or four-year vocational school, college or university; and also those under the age of 22 who have completed a high school degree or equivalent and are currently employed in dairy herd management.
Applications are accepted only from legal residents of the 50 United States and the District of Columbia.
A youth can participate in Jersey Youth Academy only one time.