The information below has been supplied by dairy marketers and other industry organizations. It has not been edited, verified or endorsed by Hoard’s Dairyman.
“We know that feeding EFAs in lactating dairy cow diets has a positive effect on cow health and reproduction, but we always continue to find new things,” says Dr. Joel Pankowski, senior manager of technical services with ARM & HAMMER™. “This study helps us learn more about how ESSENTIOM works in the diet and in the cow, plus we can now put aside some of the myths people have about feeding EFAs.”
The study included five dairies and 9,947 cows. Prior to calving, cows were fed 0.25 lbs. per day of ESSENTIOM for 21 days. After calving the rate went to 0.50 to 0.75 lbs. per day for at least 30 days.
- Beta hydroxybutyric acid (BHBA) levels were reduced by 44 percent in cows fed EFAs on the dairy where serum concentrations were collected. Concentrations of circulating BHBA indicate the cow’s ability to deal with metabolic changes in the transition period. Higher concentrations of BHBA at calving have been associated with higher risk of disease and reduced reproductive performance.
- The first linear somatic cell score was significantly lower in every herd
- The incidence of early embryonic death was lower across all five herds
- The first 305-day projected milk indicators were higher in all of the herds that reported it
- Conception rate improved from 7% – 15% across herds
- Pregnancy rate increased 7% – 16% across herds
- Net profit improved on all dairies ranging from $28 to $248 per cow per year based on performance improvements
The EFAs driving this performance are Omega-3 and Omega-6 EFAs, both of which are found in ESSENTIOM. Each have specific functions in regulating prostaglandin synthesis in regulation of physiologic and immune functions. In addition, both EFAs are needed for recognition, implantation, oviduct contraction, etc. to reduce early embryonic death.
“There are some groups in the industry question the need to feed both Omega-3 and Omega-6 products,” says Pankowski. “But this research shows that a combination of both ingredients in a certain ratio is essential to enhanced reproductive performance.”
For more information about ESSENTIOM and the full product lineup from ARM & HAMMER, visit www.ahfoodchain.com.
About ARM & HAMMER
Arm & Hammer Animal and Food Production is the only global food chain partner providing diverse technologies for animal production and food production systems. The company, with headquarters in Ewing, N.J., is committed to providing solutions to improve the safety and reliability of our world’s food supply. To learn more, visit www.AHfoodchain.com.