Our dairy industry provides a bounty of learning moments in life. My dairy journey started out as a youth in Florida, and it grew further while a student at the University of Florida. After graduation, I began working for several agribusinesses. These days, I work with our family dairy farm.
Attending and exhibiting a string of dairy cattle at the 55th World Dairy Expo provided an opportunity to reflect on my experiences and learnings in the recent years. These may resonate with others in our dairy community, whether you are just getting started or if you are a veteran.
- Be it right or wrong, sometimes it's not what you know but who you know that helps you get a push in the right direction.
- Hard work doesn't always make you the winner; sometimes it's just hard work. But when you work hard and make strides toward your goal, that's the win to be proud of. So, keep pushing forward.
- The better one doesn't always end up where you think they should, but it's okay. It's one person's opinion on one day. Generally, the correct one wins at the end of the day.
- You may think you know who your friends are, but sometimes those “friends” just tell you what you want to hear. True friends are honest and respectful and there to cheer you on in the best and worst of times.
- The greatest accomplishment is not in winning but in encouraging those around you to improve their abilities and give them the opportunity to shine.
- Surrounding yourself with a true team who supports the “vision” and gives it their all while having fun doing it is the best and makes it easier. Our farm and show teams are like an extended part of the family, and we can't thank them enough for all that they do.
About the author: The author assists with the genetics and marketing program at Oakfield Corners Dairy and is a past president of National Dairy Shrine. Oakfield Corners Dairy also won the Premier Breeder Banner at the 2022 International Holstein Show at World Dairy Expo.