The information below has been supplied by dairy marketers and other industry organizations. It has not been edited, verified or endorsed by Hoard’s Dairyman.Successful dairy producers recognize the cows take priority on dairy farms. However, minding one’s own physical and mental health is increasingly critical in today’s fast-paced dairy industry. Sessions at the 2023 Business Conference presented by Professional Dairy Producers® (PDPW) will provide attendees with tools and insights to prioritize their own wellbeing in order to better serve their teams, farms and family.
“Taking time for our own health and wellbeing is often a challenge amid the day-to-day pressures of running a dairy business, but it’s important to remember we can only do the best job for our cows, family and team when we are healthy, rested and focused,” said Katy Schultz, Fox Lake, Wis., dairy producer and PDPW board president.
The PDPW Business Conference will be held March 15-16, 2023, at the Kalahari Resorts in Wisconsin Dells, Wis., featuring more than 60 keynote, break-out, hands-on and other sessions, including sessions simultaneously translated into Spanish (excluding Nexus stage and youth leadership program).
The following sessions will center their attention on personal and relational health and wellness:
- “Nutrition for the non-ruminant,” is a day-one morning specialty session presented by health and nutrition coach Morgan Ekovich designed to focus on the nutrition necessary for the people caring for the cows. She’ll take a practical approach to planning meals and snacks with healthy options that fit busy lifestyles and individual taste preferences. With a little forward thinking, eating on the run or while in the tractor can still be healthful and satisfying.
- “Stretching for health and mobility,” also presented by Ekovich, is a day-two morning specialty session that’ll offer tips to get attendees moving around. She’ll share and demonstrate simple methods to protect the body from the physical wear and tear of dairy farming while building endurance, strength and flexibility.
- “Goodbye, ‘help wanted’ … hello new team member!” is a day-two morning specialty session presented by Michael Hoffman, founder and owner of Igniting Performance, Inc. Hoffman will help attendees rethink their approach to job postings and how they describe the qualities they’re looking for in a new team member. He’ll also share success strategies that attract and retain team members who will be motivated to take the initiative and be a part of ongoing team success.
- “Making relationships real,” also presented by Hoffman, is a day-one Learning Lounge session. Attendees will learn techniques to allow conversations to flow naturally to subsequently develop rapport and build meaningful relationships. He’ll illustrate how relationships are not built solely on talking but also about effectively listening.
- “Time with Tom,” will draw attendees into Tom Thibodeau’s inner circle during a day-one Learning Lounge. Intimately familiar with the fact that so much of our response to situations in life is mind over matter, Tom will share strategies to fine-tune your thinking and feel inspired to return to farm and family life.
The 2023 Business Conference will also feature the Nexus® stage to showcase new innovations and technologies and five Preview Stage sessions featuring research insights. There will also be an expanded Hall of Ideas and Equipment show, as well as Youth Leadership sessions led by Michael Hoffman for teens ages 15-18.
The 2023 PDPW Business Conference offers 810 minutes of accredited training through such providers as Dairy AdvanCE® (DACE) American Registry of Professional Animal Scientists (ARPAS) and Certiﬁed Crop Advisor (CCA).